Re: [CQ-Contest] RES: CQ WPX M/M Distributed Category Update

To: k9yc@arrl.net
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] RES: CQ WPX M/M Distributed Category Update
From: Michael Walker <va3mw@portcredit.net>
Date: Sat, 3 Apr 2021 08:54:54 -0400
Jim

You never commented on what you would think of this if you were in your
20's?  Be honest now.   :) If it was me, I would jumping all over it to get
on the air.  Heck I was 17 and couldn't get on HF enough and all I had was
a DX40 and an HR10B that someone gave me and aluminum fence wire and that
was all I could afford (or, I might have borrowed it from someplace).   I
had no money, but I could work JA's.

This brings up another point - if you are not using something GIVE IT AWAY
to a new ham so he can get on the air.  It isn't worth what you think
it's worth anyway.  I give away Ham equipment all the time.  Beams,
Handhelds, feedlines, etc.   This comes back in spades.

You are all starting to sound like the Mentors you had when you were all
young and SSB came out and it started to replace AM and resistant to
change.  It is actually a normal and very predictable response as we
get older.  It requires you to keep learning.   Most of you aren't ready
for new technology anymore.

In today's world it is hard for a youth to hang around old guys.  This is
not the 60's or the 70's.   My Mom freaked out when I was spending so much
time with a 50 year old ham, in his ham shack, alone.  He was the tech geek
for the RCMP here in Canada and taught me all about room bugs, phone bugs
and other cool spy stuff.  Without Ted I would have never had the careers I
had.

Mike va3mw

Albert Einstein:  “once you stop learning you start dying”