Re: [CQ-Contest] Phone Pileups

To: reflector cq-contest <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Phone Pileups
From: David Hachadorian <k6ll.dave@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 3 Jul 2021 08:40:15 -0700
It helps to be loud, so you can be heard over the din of callers.

Use automated messages as much as possible - including the CQ, "59 Charlie Tango", and "thank you K2 Delta." This will keep your ops from chit-chatting, and will save their voices.

Get a fragment of a call out of the din. For example, if you hear a call sign with a Lima at the end, just say "ending Lima?"  Try at least one more time to get the Lima before saying "nothing heard, QRZ."  Do not answer out-of-turn callers.

Use Supercheck Partial to help with call sign recognition. For example, if you hear JUI, you will know that it is most likely WB8JUI.

Acknowledge call sign corrections briefly. For example, if you initially called AA5HU, but it turns out to be AA5AU, just say "Alpha United" before pressing the "Thank you K2 Delta" button.

It should not be necessary to operate split.

Dave Hachadorian, K6LL

Yuma, AZ