Re: [CQ-Contest] Past Prediction of the Future of Contesting.

To: "pete.n4zr@gmail.com" <pete.n4zr@gmail.com>, "cq-contest@contesting.com" <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Past Prediction of the Future of Contesting.
From: AB1J via CQ-Contest <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2021 00:58:09 +0000 (UTC)
One big difference between now and the SSB paradigm shift (late 1950s well into
the 1960s) is that SSB gear was expensive and not everyone could afford it.  In
my 1958 cohort, new hams 15-21 years old, only one could afford SSB gear along
with his father was also a ham.  I don't remember being resentful about it.  I
just hunkered down and dug in with CW and had a great time.  In the process I
missed the SSB wars.  Probably for the best and as I don't recall much rancor
about anything from those days.  I remember my friends and me as excited and
happy.

Fast forward to today.  It's different now with the digital wars.  Everyone has
a computer for some purpose, with a good enough sound card for digital modes
and almost any contemporary transceiver can be used. Software is mostly free.
Everyone's a combatant.  It's very democratizing.  And we know how well
democracy has been working lately.

73,
Ken, AB1J