Re: [CQ-Contest] Radio Amateurs of Canada contest rules

To: Michael Adams <mda@n1en.org>, "cq-contest@contesting.com (cq-contest@contesting.com)" <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Radio Amateurs of Canada contest rules
From: "Bart Ritchie (VE5CPU)" <ve5cpu@sasktel.net>
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2021 15:27:15 -0600
Hi Michael, et. al.

For clarity, the 10 minute rules does not apply to the non-existent category since there is no SO(A) category.

For the Multi single categories, the 10 minute rule does apply and as such it is there to force some strategic decisions by the team on how to deploy the multiplier station. All stations in that category are affected with that limitation.

The contest management team has allowed some level of accommodation for those who wish to use assistance as a single operator. We map them into one of the M/S categories since that level of assistance most closely maps into a M/S category. That results, if they are abiding by the rules, in getting caught into a limitation that was designed as a feature of that category and not a penalty.

Semantics maybe in terms of that rule, but that is the genesis of the way we arrived at addressing those who were looking for some level of operational assistance instead of just DQing them for entering a non-existent category. You option of simply sending in a check log is also a solution, but forgoes any level of recognition despite potential limitations.

The contest management team has been discussing expansion of the categories list and the creation of a proper SO/A or SO/U for the RAC contests. There are the usual challenges around sponsorship of plaques. Another consideration is just how far a contest needs to go in terms of category expansion, but as contesting evolves we consider the directions being taken within the contest community as well as taking into consideration users requests when doing such reviews.

Any changes from this current review will be published for the 2022 contest season.

Thanks for your participation in the RAC contests, enjoy the 2021 Canada Winter contest this coming weekend

73, Bart

Bart Ritchie - VE5CPU
RAC Canada Day Contest Manager
RAC Contest Advisory Committee