[CQ-Contest] Wireless Digital Compass

To: "CQ-contest@contesting.com" <CQ-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: [CQ-Contest] Wireless Digital Compass
From: Ken Widelitz <widelitz@gte.net>
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2021 22:23:58 +0000 (UTC)
Problem: My VY2TT antennas constantly get out of sync with my rotator
controllers due to high winds causing slippage, even with extra heavy duty
rotator mast clamps. I am remoting my station, so when operating remotely I
won't be able to go out with a compass and sync the rotator controllers.
Anyone else run into this problem, especially remote stations?

Solution: A wireless digital compass on each yagi. At my home station I have
the 4O3A Rotator Genius that uses a wired digital compass. The problem with the
wired devices is in PEI there are very long runs to the yagis from the shack
and the Rotator Genius is expensive (about $660 per device for 2 rotators.)
Also, at home a problem I have had is the outside Cat5 cable connectors go bad,
even with weatherproofing.
I have researched wireless digital compasses and I have found nothing
satisfactory available. There is one product focused on cell sites that is
subscription based, but I can't get them to respond to my inquiries. After
consultation with a microcontroller developer, it appears that a solution can
be configured that will allow 4 compass sensors/transmitters to send data to
one microcontroller receiver via 433mhz rf with a range of 200 yards. The
receiver will upload the data via wifi to a web app. To save battery life, the
data is transmitted once a day or after the direction changes by more than some
threshold, perhaps 10 degrees. If the battery life is still not long enough, a
solar panel can be added to each sensor/transmitter.
I'm wondering if there is any interest in this as a "product." My estimate is
each set of 4 TX/1RX would run about $200. Feedback is welcome, even if it is
to tell me this is a terrible idea (but I would like to know why you think so.)
73, Ken, K6LA / VY2TT