Re: [CQ-Contest] A public thanks to CQP (and others who've tossed the MA

To: "Mike VE9AA ve9aa@nbnet.nb.ca" <ve9aa@nbnet.nb.ca>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] A public thanks to CQP (and others who've tossed the MAR mult away)
From: K4Sbz Stan <k4sbz.stan@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2023 17:26:55 -0400

 If everyone else has put in so much effort to make MAR archaic, it seems like
the Maritime Contest Club could follow suit. Lol

> On Sep 27, 2023 at 4:46 PM,  <Mike VE9AA ve9aa@nbnet.nb.ca
> (mailto:ve9aa@nbnet.nb.ca)>  wrote:
>

>  Nope ------ Original Message ------ From: af5cc1@zohomail.com To:
> ve9aa@nbnet.nb.ca Cc: cq-contest@contesting.com Sent: Wednesday, September
> 27, 2023 2:31 PM Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] A public thanks to CQP (and others
> who've tossed the MAR mult away) Isn't the MAR "section" still in play for
> the SS, with only PE split off from it? 73 John AF5CC Sent using Zoho Mail
> ---- On Wed, 27 Sep 2023 13:07:10 -0500 Mike VE9AA ve9aa@nbnet.nb.ca
> <ve9aa@nbnet.nb.ca>  wrote --- Some of this is a little tongue-in-cheek or my
> weak attempt at humour (it'll hopefully be obvious which parts) so try not to
> take everything I've written below as too serious. For those of you that are
> humour impaired, please look away....look away now ! A little unrelated to
> contesting, but did any of you ever watch the Canadian Comedy TV show "Corner
> Gas" whereby when a neighbouring town name was mentioned(normally Wullerton),
> all the residents of Dog River present would spit (or fake spit) on the
> ground? When I hear
the acronym "MAR", that's me. SOME of us guys out East (at least me in
particular) almost "hates" MAR (but hate is way too strong......) Very much
dislikes the "MAR" designation only as it relates to contesting because I don't
live in MAR<spit>, I live in New Brunswick. (or Nova Scotia, Prince Edward
Island) etc. and MOST contests have always permitted us to send the correct
Provincial designation. In the past I didn't always get to play for the home
team! (Only SS, ARRL 160, some Sprints and CQP are the ones that come to mind)
A few years ago the (various) Sprint folks were very kind to us VE9, VE1 and
VY2 types and may have been among the first (of the last!) of contests to let
us send NB, NS and PE---so another thank you to those movers and shakers ! Not
long after (actually, Jan 1, 2023), RAC (It's kinda/sorta like the VE version
of the ARRL for those readers abroad) finally got rid of the MAR designation
(which has absolutely NOTHING to do with contests, I should be careful to m
ention) and so the last few contests that I am aware of have all adopted the
NB, NS and PE designations for mults (partially?) based on the RAC and ARRL
finally no longer using it....again MAR as it relates to RAC and ARRL has zero
to do with contesting ! (there is still some housekeeping work to be done @
ARRL fixing up scores and records, but that's minor) I believe (but stand to be
corrected) that the CQP  <https://www.cqp.org/Rules.html&;
<https://www.cqp.org/Rules.html&;>  gt; CQP Rules which most of us love, was the
very last holdout on the World stage to get rid of it. (they called it MR)
<spits on ground>  :-) Thank you to Chris/N6WM and all those folks in
California who have finally permitted us to send NB, NS and PE in your truly
great QSO party. So anyways......I am rambling a little bit. I guess I don't
have anything left to complain about contesting wise--Geez-what now?......maybe
cut #'s in serial # contests? High K indices? Perpetually losing the Poison
d'Avril test?
 or maybe everyone being zero beat in a big EU pileup on 80m? (1rst World
problems from here in the Northeast?) I wish to extend my thanks to all of you
to have put up with my minor moaning and groaning over the decades while I
worked (in tandem with others to be sure) to help supply information and
reasoning to those last small handful of contests to move us away from using
"MAR"  <spit>  as a mult. In the end the situation mostly remedied itself and
sponsors like Sprint and CQP agreed to modify their rules on mults. based on
what RAC and the ARRL and a few others have done. Now I really AM rambling.
Appreciation all around ! ! ! Mike VE9AA, current president Maritime Contest
Club (MCC) (Is it Ironic our contest club name has that word in it?) haha