CT-User

Networking for beginners (how to start?)

To: <ct-user@contesting.com>
Subject: Networking for beginners (how to start?)
From: AssaraR@utrc.utc.com (Assarabowski, Richard)
Date: Wed, 17 May 1995 18:05:00 -0400 (EDT)
OK, OK, I can see CT on an Ethernet to be Ken's next challenge...  but for
now I'd like to start by running an Ethernet in my house, initially for
printer sharing among the 3 PC's in various parts of the house, but growing
it slowly (as time permits) into a server, for remote station access via
landline or 2 meters, a central alarm system, packet access from the car
(!?) and who knows what else people will dream up of.

What's the best way to start?  What's a cheap Ethernet card that would give
me printer and file sharing capability and still have room for growth?  I
have Windows for Workgroups on both PC's currently and shortly on the third
(now an XT).

I suspect that CT will eventually go this way and I'd like to get started.

                              -- Rich K1CC
                                  assarar@utrc.utc.com

--
Submissions:              ct-user@eng.pko.dec.com