CT-User

[ct-user] Re:iaru Cabrillo

To: <ct-user@contesting.com>
Subject: [ct-user] Re:iaru Cabrillo
From: Pete Smith <n4zr@contesting.com> (Pete Smith)
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2000 19:48:42 +0000
At 03:34 PM 7/10/00 -0400, Rob Kennedy wrote:
>I also heard from at least one programmer of a very popular Logging program
>(with contest support) that the ARRL did not EVEN consult with him at ALL
>before announcing the Cabrillo format (despite the fact that his popular
>program has been advertised in QST for many years!)

My understanding is that the authors of the format did consult with the
major CONTEST logging program authors.

>In my view, it would have been a lot better if the ARRL used ADIF.  With
>ADIF, you can easily add NEW tags to accommodate any specific reporting
>requirements dictated by the rules of any present or FUTURE contest.
>
>ADIF is very easy to use and implement.
>
>It is likely Cabrillo will be just one big headache to those who write
>contest programs (but it will likely give them some extra revenue selling
>updates to their programs for Cabrillo support).
>
>But I suspect that most software developers of contest programs would prefer
>to spend their time developing new features than spending their time
>implementing ALL the Cabrillo formats for the various contests.  Would you
>agree Ken??
>
>Perhaps, if enough HAM's and software developers complain, the ARRL will
>change it mind on Cabrillo.  We can only hope.

IMO, the biggest problem the authors of the Cabrillo format have is that it
has not been adequately explained to the contesting community, particularly
in terms of the potential benefits.  My impression is that it is a very
ambitious effort to automate the log-checking process, one that may extend
to CQ as well as ARRL contests, and may be adopted even more widely.

If that's the case, it should be explained.  Nobody likes unnecessary
change, but I think most of us are adequately flexible to change if there
are benefits to be realized (quicker, more accurate log checking, for
example).

As for making money, I don't know of any contest logging software author
who is charging for Cabrillo-related upgrades...

73, Pete Smith N4ZR

The World Contest Station Database
is back up and running at
http://www.qsl.net/n4zr