CT-User

[ct-user] CT support files for State QSO Parties?

To: <ct-user@contesting.com>
Subject: [ct-user] CT support files for State QSO Parties?
From: K4OJ" <k4oj@tampabay.rr.com (K4OJ)
Date: Fri, 4 Aug 2000 23:05:46 -0400
No way....we don't wanna use same same rules as other state QSO Parties!

Several years ago the Florida Contest Group brought the Florida QSO Party
back to life...

As a contest organization we desired to make this as fun a contest for the
organizers, a contest club, as possible.

The Florida QSO Party rules are different from other QSO Party rules in
several main things:

We do not encourage "within Florida" QSOs...we encourage running out of
state guys who all are, you guessed it...looking for us Floridians...

Yes, an out of state guy can call CQ Florida and might get a few
takers...but we prefer to run you all!

Since there are a large number of Florida counties which have next to no
HF - ham inhabitation it is necessary to use mobile stations to ensure all
the Florida counties are activated come the FQP weekend.  I know of NOBODY
that has ever had success mobiling in a contest atmosphere on 75/80
meters...and 40 is limited in its QSO producing ability...because of this we
limited low band activity...whips or 20/15/10 are not so electrically
compromised that they do not work "good enough:...although one FQP
participant took the driven element off a tribander and mounted it on top of
a mobile home this past year...

These two things make our rules significantly different than the other state
QSO Parties...and as such, seeing as our formula has produced QSO totals for
some Floridians in excess of 2000 QSOs (in a 20 hour contest) I don't think
we are in a real hurry to sacrifice what for us is a winning formulae...

Vive la difference...being unique is good!

K4OJ