CT-User

[ct-user] Windows ME - Anything Further?

To: <ct-user@contesting.com>
Subject: [ct-user] Windows ME - Anything Further?
From: ContstEmailAlias@aol.com (ContstEmailAlias@aol.com)
Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2000 10:42:34 EDT
Brian,.

You make quite an assumption here. I'm 40 years old and do wear glasses, and
I'm to the point of needing bi-focals, and not some 18 year old internet whiz
that has 20/20 vision <grin>.

The idea behind Windows in 1985 was to have a standard interface so it would
be easy to learn one program from the other.  Many of you may not remember
how we were screaming then for an interface standard.  F1 on one DOS program
did something different on another DOS program.  That why Windows and the Mac
interfaces have become so popular (and X-Windows on Linux and it's clones).

There is a publication called the Windows Style Guidelines, which tell
developers the standards by which to develop the user interface for programs.
 Sticking to this guidelines allow users to go between programs, without
having a big learning curve.  Many ham developers don't follow these, and
that's why you have software that is harder to learn under Windows.

The user interface for CT can be designed similar to what it is now, and
Windows has provisions for visual accessablity enhancments that allow for
your and my type of vision issues.

With Microsoft killing DOS in the next release of Windows (code name
Whistler) and just having 64 and 32 bit support, the 8 bit DOS programs and
16 bit Windows programs will have to either be updated Win 32, or be run on
older O/Ss.  I truly belive having high quality easy to use Windows programs
will help bring younger people into the hobby, as well as continue to enhance
the hobby for us who have been in it for a long time. The young people seem
'mic shy' nowdays, but put a computer and a TNC in front of them and hear the
reaction; 'That is so cool'.

Rick - N4GDO

In a message dated 10/11/2000 8:16:19 AM Central Daylight Time,