CT-User

[ct-user] Contests and off times

To: <ct-user@contesting.com>
Subject: [ct-user] Contests and off times
From: Mike Gilmer - N2MG <n2mg@contesting.com> (Mike Gilmer - N2MG)
Date: 20 Nov 2000 12:13:48 -0800
On Mon, 20 November 2000, "Jim Pratt" wrote:

> Actually, based on the Cabrillo logs (and us not being required to state
> offtimes), HQ can NOT properly determine breaks.  Computer logging programs
> determine times off as the time elapsed between two QSOs provided that the
> difference is beyond a threshold (like 30 minutes for SS).  BUT the rules
> state that "listening time counts as operating time", which cannot be
> determined from the logs.
>
> So, even though the rules state that listening time counts, it can no longer
> be determined from the logs submitted.  I guess that isn't important any
> more.

I thought about this, too.  HQ might erroneously determine that some *specific*
30-minute gap in log entries constitutes an "off time".  However, if you, the
operator, wanted that particular period to be treated as "listening time", you
would've had an additional period of off-time at some other point in the
contest.  The ARRL (and your logging program) would likely then determine (at
the end of the contest) that you operated 23:30 instead of the full 24 hours.

What the League (and your software) can determine is whether or not there are
enough 30 minute gaps in QSOs to make up the 6 hours of offtime.  Since
"listening time counts as operating time"  has historically been really
determined by station operator "integrity" I don't think all that much has
changed.  They are still apparently relying on your sense of fair play.

The real "danger" is if we rely upon our logging software to tell us our total
time on/off, then we are potentially ignoring the "listening time" aspect.

IMO, this rule is about the most unenforceable that any contest has.  Now that
there is a 30-minute minimum to off times, this rule seems superfluous.

73 Mike N2MG

http://www.peoplepc.com