CT-User

[ct-user] Cabrillo and time ON/OFF

To: <ct-user@contesting.com>
Subject: [ct-user] Cabrillo and time ON/OFF
From: Richard & Martha Wilder <wilder@abs.net> (Richard & Martha Wilder)
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2000 15:52:29 -0500 (EST)
The orginal post addressed SOAP BOX and ON/OFF in Cabrillo.
This reply address only the ON/OFF.

On Mon, 20 Nov 2000, Nate Bargmann wrote:  >>>>>EDITED<<<<<<
> Here is an excerpt from the confirmation email I received from ARRL after
> submitting my SSCW log:
>
> "Time-on and time-off reporting is not required for logs submitted in
> the Cabrillo format.  This message supersedes item 2.4.2 of the 2000
> ARRL November Sweepstakes Rules on page 102 of October 2000 QST."
>
> Thus it appears the ON and OFF times are not required.  Also soapbox
> comments can be added manually to the file with any text editor (expect
> Notepad, most likely).  Apparently, the program that reads the logs
> will be able to determine off times, which are thirty minutes at a minimum
> length, if I recall.

I do not think the software can determine time ON and time OFF unless
the operator enters it.  The rules state that listening is operating
time.  Suppose one  decides to cheat and not work anybody for
30+ minutes while he/she tunes and notes multipliers.  Then, after 30+
minutes, he/she starts band jumping to work the multipliers.  Even an
honest operator would, as I understand Cabrillo, have no  specific place
to report that more than 30 minutes between QSO's was operating time.
Well yes, it could be under SOAP BOX but that probably would not be
read with automation.  (Yes, that would be a slow rate but perhaps there
is a TVI issue and the half hour off was to allow the XYL to watch "Wall
Street Week ..." on PBS.

73, Dick Wilder, K3DI
  Dick's lifetime address is k3di@arrl.net