CT-User

[ct-user] Cabrillo and Soapbox Comments?

To: <ct-user@contesting.com>
Subject: [ct-user] Cabrillo and Soapbox Comments?
From: Nate Bargmann <n0nb@networksplus.net> (Nate Bargmann)
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2000 16:08:26 -0600
On Mon, Nov 20, 2000 at 07:23:40PM +0000, Jim Pratt wrote:
> Nate said:
>
> >"Time-on and time-off reporting is not required for logs submitted in
> >the Cabrillo format.  This message supersedes item 2.4.2 of the 2000
> >ARRL November Sweepstakes Rules on page 102 of October 2000 QST."
>
> >Thus it appears the ON and OFF times are not required.  Also soapbox
> >comments can be added manually to the file with any text editor (expect
> >Notepad, most likely).  Apparently, the program that reads the logs
> >will be able to determine off times, which are thirty minutes at a >minimum
> >length, if I recall.
>
> Actually, based on the Cabrillo logs (and us not being required to state
> offtimes), HQ can NOT properly determine breaks.  Computer logging programs
> determine times off as the time elapsed between two QSOs provided that the
> difference is beyond a threshold (like 30 minutes for SS).  BUT the rules
> state that "listening time counts as operating time", which cannot be
> determined from the logs.

AFAIK, this is a matter you'll need to take up with n1nd@arrl.org
I simply relayed text from the auto-responder that is quoted above.
Apparently, ARRL has decided on some method of calculating ON/OFF times
and I'm not privy to that knowledge.  I also did not make up that
quote as seems to be the implication.  I can produce a copy of the
message upon request with the message headers...

> So, even though the rules state that listening time counts, it can no longer
> be determined from the logs submitted.  I guess that isn't important any
> more.

This is an issue that is left to the integrity of the participant, but
recent events have shown that integrity is quickly becoming rare.  I
suppose next we'll have to have a connection from the radio to the
computer to measure the on-time of the rig...

> For the record, I don't listen during my off times.

Neither do I, but we all know eveyone else cuts corners, right?

SHEEESH!

73, de Nate >>

--
 Wireless | Amateur Radio Station N0NB          | "None can love freedom
 Internet | n0nb@networksplus.net               | heartily, but good