CT-User

[ct-user] Tools for CQWW M2 category ?

To: <ct-user@contesting.com>
Subject: [ct-user] Tools for CQWW M2 category ?
From: n5nj@gte.net (Bob Naumann - N5NJ)
Date: Wed, 13 Nov 2002 06:41:07 -0600
While I understand that you CAN change bands this many times, I would
suggest that it might not be most effective to do so, since you really
should be running on two bands at once in Multi-2.  Granted that there are
times when rates cannot be sustained on two bands.  Then, change to another
band, work everything there, then go to another band and so on.

I think that packet gives us a way to measure the value of bandchanging
without taking the time to "test the waters" as we used to have to in the
old days.

Practically speaking, let's say you're running on 15 and 10.  Anything pops
up on either of those bands, you're covered - no band changes necessary.
How many other bands are open that are going to be worth stopping a run for
to go work a mult?  Will this happen 8 times per hour?  Doubt it.  By late
in the contest, since you've been running on all bands at their prime-time
already, you've worked most everything that'll be calling CQ anyway.  To
draw in the rare mults, you must call CQ - even late in the contest.

I would further suggest that if there are mults on another band showing up,
you should go there and work a bunch of them, and perhaps run some other
stations instead of a flip-flopping bandchange scenario showing up in your
log.

Can you flip-flop?  Sure.  Is it worth it?  I don't think so, and would be
interested in an analysis of the effectiveness of it given the other aspects
of multi-2 operation.  I'm not convinced - but I'm also not closed to
persuasion.

And, the logic behind the band-change limitation is to prevent a
more-than-two-operating-position-station from interweaving their QSOs and
operating essentially as a multi-multi station - which, there is a
classification for already.  Many M2 stations run 3 or 4 operating
positions, or even more.  It would be easy for them to man all of them and
time slice the log to appear that only two were on the air at one time.
This would be cheating.

If we could mandate that all multi-2 stations would only have 2 operating
positions, and only two people operating them, this would be an unnecessary
rule.  However, that's not practical and cannot be monitored.

I would suggest that if you really want to do a lot of band flip-flopping,
do a single op with SO2R.

That'll keep you busy.

N5NJ