CT-User

Re: [ct-user] CT & XP

To: "Mark Bailey" <kd4d@comcast.net>, <ct-user@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [ct-user] CT & XP
From: "Ron Notarius W3WN" <wn3vaw@verizon.net>
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2006 18:30:21 -0500
Hi Mark,

I appreciate the thought, but that's not really something I wanted to do.
If I boot the machine under DOS, then the only thing it would be able to do
is CT and a few other DOS apps.  I wanted to be able to keep an eye on the
cluster at the same time (in those contests that I'm either operating
SO-A/SO-U or not seriously competing in, obviously those that I'm in SO
would mean no packet), which I could do with a DOS window, but not when I'm
running solely DOS.

I'm going to take a look at CTWin.  The last time I looked at it, which was
a very early version (maybe even the beta?) it wasn't quite what I thought
of as ready, and I had some problems with it -- again, that was a long time
ago.

Besides, to drift for a moment, I'm in the process of upgrading all of the
house computers from Win 98SE to Win XP, which is right now waiting on
memory and hard drives for the existing machines, so I really don't want to
drift back to DOS.  Much as I like and miss DOS, the time to move forward is
here.

Speaking of which... and again, I don't know if this has been addressed in
the past here or not... but considering that it appears that CT development
is pretty much halted for the forseeable future, has anyone with a
programming background approached K1EA & crew for permission to work on a
modernized version?  It just seems a shame to see CT fade away; it was way
ahead of it's time when introduced, and still remains one of the best
available contesting programs.  Surely there is someone out there who could
help move it into the 32 bit world?  Or is this a lost cause?

73, ron w3wn