Re: [Karlnet] FYI: List Format

To: <karlnet@WISPNotes.com>
Subject: Re: [Karlnet] FYI: List Format
From: "Joseph D'Andrea" <JoeDan@West21.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2002 10:59:40 -0400
At 1:38 PM -0400 4/23/02, Bill Fisher wrote:
I set this up to reply to the sender rather than the list.  I hope that is
OK with everyone... it drives me nuts to see all those obviously personal
messages on that other list.

Personally, I don't like this type of set-up. And with fewer then 50 subscribers, personal replies should not be a problem. I think that using a brute force mechanism to prevent personal messages is not the right way to go. I think that training subscribers that personal replies are discouraged is the right way to go. But the main reason I have for not liking the reply-to-sender type lists is that unless the person doing the replying takes the extra step (or more appropriately, remembers to take the extra step) of replying to all, only the original poster gets the answer he/she is looking for. On this type of list, those answers are valuable and if they don't make it into the archive because the reply/answer only went to the sender, then the archives become just a collection of questions and the answers remain elusive to all but the original sender.

my 3 cents.

--joe

Joseph D'Andrea ~ http://www.west21.com/ ~ JoeDan@West21.com
     WEST21.com Internet services for the 21st Century
        webhosting ~ co-location ~ wireless access
           WebCat and MGI database programming