OT: Cisco bandwidth shaping (WAS:Re: [Karlnet] Filtering GNUTela, Morphe

To: <karlnet@WISPNotes.com>
Subject: OT: Cisco bandwidth shaping (WAS:Re: [Karlnet] Filtering GNUTela, Morpheus, Kazaa, etc)
From: "hfl-lists" <hfl-lists@stormcrows.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Jun 2002 23:14:55 -0500
To me the border is the place to filter.. to save you time here is the
pertinent portions of a config I just did (this is IOS 12.2 by the way), my
comments are prefaced with ##.. E-mail me with questions.

class-map match-any normal-priority
  match access-group name normalpriority
class-map match-any high-priority
  match access-group name highpriority
class-map match-any low-priority
  match access-group name lowpriority
### ok here we are just defining some "classes" of service, for instance the
class "normal-priority" is ANYthing that matches the access-list named
"normalpriority" which you will see below
!
policy-map shapetraffic
  class high-priority
   shape peak 1544000
   bandwidth percent 40
  class normal-priority
   shape peak 10000000
   bandwidth percent 40
  class low-priority
   shape peak 1544000
   bandwidth percent 20
### here is where we define the actual policy for this.. we create a policy
called "shapetraffic" and then we put the three classes from above into it
and assign each a bandwidth.  Notice that I have defined a PEAK value of a
T1 to high-priority.. means IF the bandwidth is available this class is
allowed to use UP TO 1.544mbps.  When that bandwidth is NOT available it is
GUARANTEED at LEAST 40% of the available bandwidth on whatever interface
this policy is assigned to.  That means that if this one policy is assigned
to two T1s then it will have 2x(.40x1.544mbps) of bandwidth guaranteed to it
but never allowed more than 1.544mbps on ALL interfaces.  You can also see
that I have defined a few numbers for the other two, normal (catch all
really) and low which only gets 20% when bandwidth is constrained.

!
interface Serial1/0
 description Serial To UUnet
 bandwidth 1536
 no ip address
 no ip redirects
 no ip proxy-arp
 encapsulation frame-relay IETF
 no ip mroute-cache
 service-policy input drop-inbound-http-hacks
 service-policy output shapetraffic
 frame-relay lmi-type ansi
### ok here is where we apply the policy just so you can see it in context I
am leaving a bunch of other stuff in there.. the thing to see is the
"service-policy output shapetraffic".  Can be applied to ANY interface (not
subinterfaces with the way I have this setup) but only on OUTPUT.. so if you
want it both ways, you need to put it on the ethernet interface too.
!
### the following are the access lists for above.  high priority includes
games, interactive sessions (such as telnet, SSH, Windows Remote Desktop,
etc.)  Low includes the file sharing programs and smtp.

ip access-list extended highpriority
 permit tcp any any eq 22
 permit tcp any any eq telnet
 permit tcp any any eq 1494