RE: [Karlnet] Drop in Throughput?

To: <karlnet@WISPNotes.com>
Subject: RE: [Karlnet] Drop in Throughput?
From: "Support" <support@karlnet.com>
Date: Fri, 5 Jul 2002 14:45:16 -0400
One thing about routing.. It does keep unnecessary traffic off of the
wireless link.  If you do that then the throughput is going to be higher.
Bridge is basically a packet comes in one interface and is sent out the
other interface(s).  Routing is selective and sends the packet out only on
the interface it needs to go out.  Bridging Defined:

TRANSPARENT BRIDGING

Karlnet?s software conforms to the IEEE 802.1D standard, which allows node
connectivity in a LAN and is called a Transparent Bridge.  It works
according to the following guidelines:

· The Karlnet software supports multiple interfaces which are configured
either in a forwarding (bridge) or blocking (deny) state. If setup in a
forwarding state they can send and receive frames, and if in a blocking
state they cannot. The purpose of putting some protocols into a blocking
state is to avoid frame unnecessary traffic on the network.

· To also minimize the amount of traffic on a bridged LAN, the bridges
maintains a Bridge Learn Table that specifies which MAC addresses appear on
which bridge ports.  When a Bridge has to forward a frame, it looks up the
destination MAC address in the Bridge Learn Table and forwards the frame
through the appropriate port if it finds a match.

· If there is no match, a frame containing a destination MAC address that is
not found in the Bridge Learn Table is sent out of all bridge ports in a
forwarding state, with the exception of the port on which the frame has been
received.

Bill Fisher had an article he sent around last month that explained the
routing access in more detail.

Doug Harman
KarlNet, Inc.
525 Metro Place North