[Karlnet] Karlnet backhaul - will this work

To: <isp-wireless@isp-wireless.com>
Subject: [Karlnet] Karlnet backhaul - will this work
From: "Brett Hays" <bretth@htonline.net>
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2003 21:08:59 -0500
We are going to extend dialup to another city about 9 miles from our current
wpop and I wanted to make sure the way I am contemplating doing this will work.
 There is a hill at about the 5 mile mark between the two cities that prevents
LOS.  We have a farmer willing to trade free access for placement on top of his
barn.

Our current wpop is on top of a 130' grain tower and the only way to access the
top is via crane, so I wanted to avoid the crane bill until we got some
customers on in the new town.  (quite rural area). Here's what I want to do,
let me know if there's any reason this won't work.

AP1000 at the current wpop, a mixture of RG1000/NDIS clients with real world
ip's routed (not bridged) with a /25 subnet.

Hyperlink Mini-Ror or similar at the repeater site in satellite mode.  It's ip
will be the first ip in the second /25 subnet.  Ethernet switch at the repeater
site.  Customer's computer or gateway box, etc. will be the second ip in the
second /25 subnet.  Another mini-ror or similar will have the third ip in the
second /25 subnet and will point to the new tower location.

At the new tower location in the new town will be an AP1000 with one radio
pointed back to the repeater site, it's IP will be the fourth ip in the second
/25 subnet.  The other card in the AP1000 will be connected to an omni with the
fifth ip in the second /25 subnet and will serve a mix of RG1100 and NDIS
clients with ip's from the remainder of the second /25 subnet.

Anything horribly wrong with this setup?  Anyone got a better way to do this
with a similar cost factor?