RE: [Karlnet] KN with externally controlled STP

Subject: RE: [Karlnet] KN with externally controlled STP
From: "John Benson" <john@mwutah.com>
Date: Tue, 3 Jun 2003 11:00:23 -0600
Sam,

I have set up STP on Karlnet point to point RG-1000s.  I was using cisco
2950 switches.  They work great if you have STP turned on on the RGs.  You
will also want to tune the STP so that it primarily uses the link that you
want it too.  It will never work as a dumb piece of cat5 because STP
utilizes the link light to determine if the connection is good.  Since the
link light will stay on no matter what the RF side of the RG is doing, you
have to use STP on the RG.  In other words, the RG has to be smart not dumb.
That is what I found anyway.  Good luck.

John