Ubicom TC Units and factory reset issues/questions, WET11's - was RE

Subject: Ubicom TC Units and factory reset issues/questions, WET11's - was RE: [Karlnet] ofdm in 2.4ghz?
From: "Brad Gass" <bradlists@mnns.com>
Date: Sat, 2 Aug 2003 00:19:29 -0500 (CDT)
The WET11's I have had have a PCMCIA PRISM 2.5 (or 3, not totally sure
actually) cards in them - as well as the KarlNet converted Hawking Tech
units from Charles.  In fact, with the exception of the RPSMA connector
location, the board layout appears nearly identical to the Hawking Tech
units.  In that respect, FWIW, I prefer the WET11's.

As a side (non KarlNet related note), has anyone taken their WET11's apart
and flashed the FW up to 1.7.4 in the radio cards?  The WET11's I've had
come through the office I've all flashed up card and unit FW before
redeploying them elsewhere, and they at least seem more stable and
predictable than before.

On a KarlNet related note, I do appear to have an oddball issue with at
least one of the Ubicom units I'm doing field trials on.  It sporadically
loses it's configuration and returns to the factory settings.  This
particular unit I have velcro'd to a window facing one of my COR/BASE's
that's 150 yards away, perfect line of sight, 27dB+ SNR.  It's on a window
right next to a door that's the primary entrance to the house, and it does
get a little vibration if the door is closed hard - but not much,
certainly no more that something sitting on a desk or computer that gets
knocked around occasionally.  The only observations are that 1) How does
the "init" switch work with the KarlNet FW - is their any delay required
after initial actuation before the unit actually returns to factory
defaults?  My thinking is that maybe the vibration from the door was
actuating it possibly.  And 2) perhaps it's a power glitch issue from the
vibration, in combination with it triggering something in the software.

My question to KarlNet is (assuming they'll tell us) - what sequence of
events has to happen in software to return the unit to factory defaults?
Are the software routines for "factory reset" executed immediately on
startup, or is there some kind of "wait for power and switch inputs to
settle before doing anything" delay?  If it were a switch actuation due to
vibration, I could just desolder it and be done with it really.  But if
it's a wait or debounce issue, I'm sort of out.

I know this is an oddball case, and I've not been able to reproduce it
reliably, not even by repeated firm tapping on the housing or closing the
door hard, but I know it's happening on this particular install regularly
(every few days), and if I can't track it down, I'll either have to
replace the bridge or move it elsewhere in the house and see what happens.

Brad