RE: [Karlnet] Strange ping loss

Subject: RE: [Karlnet] Strange ping loss
From: "Steve Deaton" <steve@texasbb.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2003 14:20:35 -0500
For whatever it's worth, I just found a NAT problem.  This will only
apply if you're running NAT on the device that is locking up.  Some
clients behind the NAT AP were running something that was generating a
large number of NAT connections.  I wasn't able to see this until I
bridged the AP to a Cisco router.  I looked at the number of NAT
translations and there were tens of thousands.  The AP running NAT was
not able to keep up with the large number of NAT translations so it
locked.  When bridged, my 7206 would run at 98% CPU utilization.  I shut
off the MAC addresses that were generating the most connections and all
was well.  An alternate solution is to give everyone a public, thus
negating the NAT and all is well now too.  This maybe something that
everyone already knows, but it was a simple thing that I overlooked, so
maybe others have also.  Hope this helps.

Steve Deaton
IT Director
Texas Broadband, Inc.
(888)868.3835 ext 85 (office)