[Karlnet] Strange ping loss

Subject: [Karlnet] Strange ping loss
From: "Bob Hrbek" <bhrbek@jagwireless.net>
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2003 08:43:36 -0500
I have an Orinoco COR v4.15 with about 14 RG-1000 clients and 1 AP-1000 that
is serving as a POP and backhaul for the small pop.   In all, about 35
clients are going through this AP, in on way or another.

I have a monitoring system that pings all the clients every 2 minutes.
(Because of this problem, I stuck a monitoring box at the bottom of this
tower)  It keeps reporting the clients as un-reachable.  I've not contacted
any of them but had one complaint off the remote AP-1000  Satellite/Base.

My testing:

I did a 1000 byte ping to one client.  I left it running all night.

--- 10.100.105.16 ping statistics ---
43477 packets transmitted, 43474 received, 0% loss, time 43582095ms

Out of 43477, I lost 3 packets!!!!!  My max ping time was 311ms.  The client
I was pinging was the only one that I never received an outage notification
on last night.  Previously I was getting 20 or more per day.

The stats on the AP don't look wonderful.  Re-transmits are about 10% for
the clients that I get the most outages reports on.  Overall in FCS errors
are only .3% (yes that is point 3%) of the total inbound packets. I believe
I have some RF issues at this site but WHY, if I ping a client constantly,
will I be successful 43,374 times out of 43,477 and still drop so many
monitoring pings when I'm not constantly pinging him?  I even disabled
polling on this ap and it didn't change anything but lower the ping times.

If I didn't know better, I'd say I had a duplicate IP address but it is
affecting about 10 of the RG"s on a regular basis.  No dupes out there.  I
checked.

Any thoughts?

-Bob