[no subject]

Regarding the support issue: if you buy a car (say, a BMW) and it
breaks down, who do you turn to? Write to Germany or go to the
local dealer? Exactly - you go to the person that sold you the car.
Same model applies here, as Agere does not sell to end customers
only to VARs and partners: Avaya buys units at a stiff discount
from Agere, because our partners are expected to provide customer
support as one of their added values. The partner will deal with us
on issues of RMA and that is settled without you noticing, unless
something strange is going on.
My estimate (but I am guessing here) is that Avaya bought units
at the fire-sale that Lucent organised to clear their stock after
Agere was spun off. Note that these units were sold below cost price.
This does not void warranty in itself, but I can imagine that the
terms towards Avaya does not allow an application for RMA on these
units. I have no clue if this information was shared by Avaya with
their customers, or that your units were part of such a deal.
Just ask Avaya and you should find out the origin of the units,
but you are doing the job of your reseller at that moment.
I am guessing here why warranty is refused, as this never happens
on regular products that are returned in original, but broken,
state to the service organisation.

Please do check your invoices as to who actually sold you your
gear - get back to the one that took your money on delivery.

>>>2) The units had KARLNET installed on them... they claim just
>>
>>you should flash them w/ the standard RG kernel, then they
>>won't know better <g>
>
>Great idea, but all of these units are too far gone to get into
>and re-flash.  While we are on the subject, if the flash of
>Karlnet in and of itself damaged the unit, I would agree that
>it should void the warranty, but these were deployed, working
>units that died while in service... weeks if not months after
>the flash upgrade.

The loading of another vendor's software or other modifications
to the unit invalidates the warranty at no surprise - suppose we
did allow the normal customer support on a product that is not
our own - how can we spend the money on support of problems that
someone else took the money from you for?

We do have several lines of ORiNOCO products, which are fully
qualified and supported by Agere Systems, soon to be integrated
with the Proxim line of products as I understand the proposals.
These products are developed and tested by us to comply to high
standards of quality, so we can guarantee a certain level of
functionality and a certain (low) level of support for them.

If you find a company that takes existing products and add them
together with other companies' products to make new functionality,
features or value available, then they should be held responsible
for the product they deliver. They get paid for this added value
as well, so they should also support this added value.

In case these companies cannot support you in the way you want,
you should rethink the companies you want to deal with and
check if there are others that give better support, but sometimes
at a different cost. There is no free lunch, sorry.
There are several well-supporting companies on-list, both for
ORiNOCO equipment and alternatives, so there should be plenty of
opportunity to move forward here.

OK, on the technical side - how to prevent these problems happening?
I understand you have used the RG-1000 in customers sites, but it
is not clear to me how you connected them into the network.
Did they have an external antenna or was the wireless link
provided from the internal antenna?
Did you used wireless backhaul / Point to Multipoint or was this
arranged in a wired way?
I have noticed several units failing in a short time, but always
due to static electricity build-up and discharge, usually through
the Ethernet drivers. This is killing and must be avoided.
As the RG was not designed to be used with outdoor antenna, there
is no provision on the RG to connect a ground wire to prevent
buildup of static.
Therefor it may be wise to ground the antenna cable (if any) with
a proper surge arrestor as specified in the Outdoor Antenna
Installation Guide that can be downloaded at our web site.
The same ground MUST be used to connect the negative lead of the
power supply - this one goes to the ground on the PCB of the RG
and it is better than nothing to prevent the broken Ethernet
interfaces.

Hope this helps you, otherwise let me know.

Cor van de Water
Sr System Engineer & TC
Radio Backbone Systems Team
Agere Systems
Email: water@agere.com   Priv: cor_van_de_water@dolfijn.nl
Tel:   +31 30 609 7563   Web:  http://www.cvandewater.com
Fax:   +31 30 609 7556   GSM:  +31 655 166 724
Who needs UMTS anyway when you can have ORiNOCO wireless?

From isp-planet....

The KarlNet WISP Base is a 1U rack mount base station capable of operating up
to five different radios and two 10/100-Ethernet interfaces, which can support
up to 320 remote wireless stations. It can be used in either 2.4 GHz or 5.8 GHz
radio systems.

Regards

Graham

From Site-B, I can see the towers on Site-A.  Any amount of reorienting the
dishes does nothing to improve the situation from where it is now.

I'm feeling like there is probably a failure in equipment somewhere, so I've
replaced everything on both ends of the link except for the antenna at
Site-A, the antenna at Site-B, and the amp at Site-B.  EVERYTHING else has
been swapped out at one point or another.  What should I be trying next?

Thanks

Bill

From what I can see, the Redline product is pretty damn good for PTP, but what
is everyone else's opinion on the other manufacturers PTMP products ?  (also
considering details such as management etc..)

All opinions appreciated.

Regards

Graham Farrow

From what I can tell, most Karlnet resellers make a "margin" of maybe $4 or
$5 per unit.  So even if you bought hundreds of licenses from Charles, he
was still doing you a favor by providing network consulting.

Just my 2 cents worth.
Larry