RE: [Karlnet] Getting Back In

Subject: RE: [Karlnet] Getting Back In
From: "Jayson Baker" <jbaker@peakinet.net>
Date: Sun, 16 Nov 2003 06:41:23 -0700
Routing is routing is routing.  Whether you're using private IP's and
routing public over it, or just routing public - you're still routing.

If you're only doing a point-to-point-to-point link I'd recommend using
bridging - there's no need to route... what else are you going to route to
on a PtPtP link?  Go to the KN-200, connect via Ethernet and hit Scan -
you'll see what IP it has, put an IP in that same subnet in your machine and
set the unit to bridge.  Do the same for the RG's on either end.

Now go to the far RG and connect via Ethernet, assign an IP, and do a speed
test.  You should see the fastest of your slowest links here (2.8Mb was
it?).  Assuming you get acceptable speed, plug it into the AP-1000 and try
it through there - if it's slow, it's the AP.

I would, however, recommend that you at least do routing in the AP-1000, or
with a router at the datacenter.  If your datacenter is like most, you're
just plugged into a switch - not a good idea to bridge that to all your
users.  The best thing to do is put a two-port Ethernet router in the
datacenter, but that's up to you.

Regards,
Jayson A. Baker
Peak Internet Solutions