RE: [Karlnet] Heat Problems Continued - PoE solution for problems

Subject: RE: [Karlnet] Heat Problems Continued - PoE solution for problems
From: "wbos" <wbos@lumiad.nl>
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2003 10:25:11 +0100

For the powering, we use a similar solution as Charles suggests. We use a
planet device from www.planet.com.tw for the same purpose. We import them
directly to Europe from Taiwan.

They can be used with a seperate slave unit or without the slave straigth on
to he device. Without the slave, there is more heat development in the
KN100/200. It is slightly more. Our experience is that the real issue is in
the temp off the memory.

We tested a design with plastics and an aluminum heatsink to solve the heat
problem in a passive way. We wanted to have a solution without any fan.
First testing was very promissing. We will do a heat chamber test with a new
board to get the proof. Attached a pdf off the aluminum heatsink (it is
changed slightly for two components). We cool both the processor and the
memory with the heatsink and connect it via the back off the casing to the
outside world. We have a mold for the abs casing. We preferred it in abs as
it was possible to use one casing for indoor (not waterproof) and one for
outdoor waterproof. In both cases we can see the led information which in
our case is used for customer support when using the kn100 as a client unit.
It is also easy on the base stations however less practical.

The first units worked reasonable well in the local situation in the
Netherlands. Temperatures are not very high here though. App. 28-30 deg C
max in the summer.

We tested with poe in a heated box (not as accurate as a heatchamber) till
35 deg C outside temp and the units continued working correctly. It was
tested under full load.

Wim Bos