[Karlnet] Reduction of Karlnet features w/out notification.

Subject: [Karlnet] Reduction of Karlnet features w/out notification.
From: "Steve Deaton" <steve@texasbb.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2003 15:33:33 -0600
Just FYI, not trying to start any flaming, but be aware that karlnet is
working on removing features like NAT & DHCP from the SR-4000 & possibly
others.  We started flashing CPE's for our contractors to have next week
& were met with an absence of NAT and DHCP as options.  This was a
change that was made last night without notification, thus I am posting
here.

Our standardized install entails contractors picking up RG's or KN's
with NAT & DHCP so they always have a standard installation & don't need
to understand IP addressing.  This is important when you have several
different subnets that they will be connecting to (i.e. different towers
& channels).  We then connect remotely on an as-needed basis & change
settings if requested (i.e. client needs a public or static IP), but by
default they're getting a NAT IP.  We have found this to be the best way
to simplify things for installers.

I'd appreciate input on this concept as I know Karlnet monitors this
thread.  If many ISP's use the NAT & DHCP it may help motivate them in
our favor.  If not, it will help karlnet relieve overhead by not
offering these features in the future.  To confirm, if you're using
bridging or routing as a normal setup, this won't effect anything, so
don't stress.  However, if you normally implement NAT/DHCP it may not be
there anymore as of 7pm last night.  You will still pay the same for the
licenses, but received reduced features unless you notify karlnet.  We
found them to be interested in working with us to meet our needs, so
this is more of a speed bump than a brick wall.  They have offered to
edit our web login, possibly all web logins, at license-it.com to offer
options for NAT/DHCP, so voice your approval or disapproval so that they
know what their users like.

Regards,

Steve Deaton
IT Director