Re: [Karlnet] does 802.11g work ?

To: Mehdi Moosavian <moosavian@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: [Karlnet] does 802.11g work ?
From: Peter Dordik <dordik@presov.viapvt.sk>
Date: Sat, 17 Jan 2004 13:41:46 +0100
Hallo Mehdi,

> I have AP1000 lucent/Orinoco with 802.11b gold cards, I build a point to
> point wireless link for data transmission and its configuration
software is
> karlnet bridge configurator, now,

I do not know, if You have Turbocell loaded in 2 AP1000 devices, or You
are using only one device in AP mode and second point of link is Linux
client in managed mode.

ACK packets are not used for retransmissions in Turbocell. I know
nothing about distance limits in Turbocell.

> can I insert 802.11g card in my bridges and if I do, does it work?

802.11g cards are 32bit only (cardbus), while AP1000 has only 1 16bit
slots. So it is not possible.

> or I need to update my MIB in my bridges ?
No firmware update will help
> what is maximum distance ( for timing limitations for ACK ) for
802.11g ? We
> test and impelement a 802.11b for 50Km and its thriughput is higher than
> 2Mbps,

Cisco bridges BR350-AK9 has configurable ACK timing via distance
setting. I think, that maximum distance is 40km or 40 miles. You need 2
bridges for point to point link.

May be in Your case, interference will not be big problem. But I think, that
802.11g will not be usable.

I heard something about point to point link in adhoc mode with disabled
ACK. May be it is solution for You, if You need very cheap and relative fast
solution.

http://peertech.org/LongShotWiFiTiming

Regards
        Peter