[Karlnet] New repeater WIPOP has bad ping/jitter.

Subject: [Karlnet] New repeater WIPOP has bad ping/jitter.
From: "Norm Young" <lists@applegatebroadband.net>
Date: Sun, 18 Apr 2004 10:23:19 -0700
I've recently added a KN-205/KarlBridge/Router (v4.44-02-020917 knrgotcn
SN-xKNRG+*********458 V4.35) to our network, using it as a
repeater/secondary WIPOP to fill in an area that had no coverage.

One of the radios is set up to be a satellite, communicating with the main
WIPOP, the other in PtMP/ISP Basestation to service the unserved area.   The
satellite is on CH1, the PtMP is on CH7.   Signal strength back to the main
WIPOP is very good, that to the one existing  (test) client on the PtMP
interface is marginal with S/N ratio of 10-12dB.

 The whole network is bridged.  I've set up  a new IP subnet for this
repeater, with the idea of moving to routing, as I'm going to have traffic
for this area that needs to go only to this repeater, but I haven't
implemented it yet.  The whole network is running v4.44, and is a mix of
older RGs and a range of KN-50's/Ubicoms using firmware from v1.00-00-052215
to 1.10-00-101315.

 The throughput is good, the ping times and jitter are unacceptably bad.
Pings to the repeater from other clients on the same main WIPOP are about
normal, 25-100mS range, with most in the 20mS area.  Pings to the repeater
from the backhaul at the main WIPOP are 11mS-50mS, most being in the low
teens.

However, pings through the new repeater to the one client on the PtMP (CH7)
interface are simply awful.   From the main WIPOP backbone they are from
14mS-500mS, with most being around 200mS.  Pings back from the client are
just as bad.  Pings from one of the Ethernet interfaces on the repeater back
to the main WIPOP also are rough, with lots of latency and jitter.

Anyone have any comments on what could be wrong here?  I'd say signal
strength, but I happened to notice these jitter/latency issues with the
system while it was burning in on the bench, as well.

Norm