Re: [Karlnet] Broadcast storms

Subject: Re: [Karlnet] Broadcast storms
From: "Steve Loomis" <loomiss@cox.net>
Date: Fri, 4 Jun 2004 22:14:01 -0500
We just went thru the same thing on our network. We have over 250 customers
and all were bridged.  Something would trigger a broadcast storm and the
whole network "felt" it.  It was really causing havoc. We first split our
network into 3 different segments and most of that stopped, except one
segment was still quite large with several APs tied to a central site that
relayed back to our core.  We then put Soekris 4501 3 port devices with
Mikrotik routing software loaded at that site and routed each AP on
different subnets.  Since then, there are NO storms at all that we can
"see".  The whole network is now VERY stable and is running better than
ever.  We found that as we grew, the problems grew worse. Virus traffic was
very disruptive. Now we pay much less attention to the virus'd customers,
where before we had to continually track them down and get them cleaned up.
Not much fun at all. Now it is a joy to see the network performing as it
should.

As an aside our entire backbone is comprised of Trango 5.8g equipment.  We
are extremely happy with Trango and recommend it as a backbone, at least.
We are running almost 75 Karlnet customers all fed by Trango and having very
good results. The rest of the CPE equipment is divided among Alvarion,
Trango and WaveRider 900.  My preference in CPE is Trango, Karlnet and
WaveRider in that order.  We are still using RG1100's and have not tried any
of the new KN devices. We were able to stock up on RG's when they were
available and have weathered the storm of problems on the new devices.  The
new KN205's are now Great performers and we have 3 in service!

Sorry to ramble on, but thought someone may benefit from our experiences.
Feel free to contact me.

Steve Loomis
Vroomwireless Inc.
Stillwater, Ok.