Re: [Karlnet] Re: Attention to the Karlnet Big Wigs

Subject: Re: [Karlnet] Re: Attention to the Karlnet Big Wigs
From: "Larry Craddock" <l_craddock@netride.net>
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 2004 07:39:10 -0600
Also Heard that the entire buy out of KN was to force the end of the low
cost OEM type products they produced and replace it with a higher price
integrated product sold by YDI to those who needed KN TC radio system.

From what I've read on this list most WISPs ( myself included ) aren't
really into that whole *forcing* thing. Mostly likely the only thing this tactic is gonna force is a mass migration away from Karlnet. I just finished going through this exact scenario last week with a software vendor. I don't know how many of you are familiar with IPSwitch but they have ( had? ) some very popular server software including an excellent mail server. Their core userbase was small to medium sized companies and ISPs. Out of the blue they bundle a couple of 3rd party products into the mail server, quadruple the price, and don't give you an option to buy just the mail server; choosing to ignore the pleas of their user base. Result: Mass exodus. Turned out to be a very bad move and now ... too late ... they've reconsidered and offer the stand alone server. *Many* of their users ( again myself included ) have already switched to another server and won't go back.

I don't really know anyone looking to buy a higher priced, integrated YDI unit. Something needs to change *before* the exodus from Karlnet. It'll be too late once we're gone. If you don't believe me ask IPSwitch.

Larry Craddock