Re: [Karlnet] Warning Don't take pictures of running KN105/205

Subject: Re: [Karlnet] Warning Don't take pictures of running KN105/205
From: Dan Metcalf <dan.metcalf@wbsysnet.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2004 11:52:24 -0500
So using a solid metal enclosure should not be an issue.

Dan

TerabeamTechnical Services wrote:

Norm/Mark, you guys really know how to keep me busy!.

I apologize for any inconvenience this issue may have caused. We found this
issue while researching a customers complaint that his unit rebooted during
a lightning storm.I was assured by the customer that he was not utilizing a
clear plastic enclosure!.The Watchdog Chip (board id #U11) is a Surface
Mounted Device (SMD) that reacts BADLY from the flash when it is
photographed.This was not perceived as an issue because most enclosures (no
more Tupperware!) will not allow light penetration. The following is from
the IC Product Data sheet:

*Special Precautions for the micro SMD Package
As with most integrated circuits, the LM3706 and LM3707

are sensitive to exposure from visible and infrared (IR) light

radiation. Unlike a plastic encapsulated IC, the micro SMD

package has very limited shielding from light, and some

sensitivity to light reflected from the surface of the PC board

or long wavelength IR entering the die from the side may be

experienced. This light could have an unpredictable affect on

the electrical performance of the IC. Care should be taken to

shield the device from direct exposure to bright visible or IR

light during operation.

Thanks

Reg Mallory

----- Original Message ----- From: "Norm Young" <lists@applegatebroadband.net>
Sent: Sunday, November 14, 2004 10:29 PM

I did the same thing! Actually, I suspect it's the RF pulse (wideband)

sent

out by the rapid discharge of the neon bulb. Quite a bit of current

there,

and at a high voltage I believe.
Sort of an EMP issue.

Norm

----- Original Message ----- From: "Mark McKibbin" <mark@team.dcsi.net.au>
Sent: Sunday, November 14, 2004 7:15 PM

I just finished a new repeater and thought I'd take a picture of it, after the flash went off it rebooted! It happened with the KN105 and KN205 I assume one of the chips is photo sensitive so I would advise photo taking before you go live.

Regards

Mark McKibbin
DCS Internet
64 Queen St