[Karlnet] How do you ppl check noise floor

Subject: [Karlnet] How do you ppl check noise floor
From: "Dzevad Hadzic" <zex@zex.biz>
Date: Thu, 9 Dec 2004 02:05:30 +0100
I recently had problem with setuping long link ~20 miles. After setting up
units and mounting antennas on tower I was able to see other unit
In wireless link test but there was too much noise ( I fond this latter) to
establish connection.

Only way witch comes to my mind was to setup one unit to 802.11 and use
netstumbler to check noise ratio and find low-noise channel.
If noise is too high link does not work and I can't see how much noise is
around with wireless link test.
This sounds to me like catch 22.
Is there some other way to check for noise ratio without establishing link
test ?