NA-User

[na-user] NA Networks w/Ethernet

To: <na-user@contesting.com>
Subject: [na-user] NA Networks w/Ethernet
From: DAP14@chrysler.com (DAP14@chrysler.com)
Date: Mon, 29 Jul 96 09:52:47 EDT
Gary, K7OX recently posed a question here on the reflector concerning the
use of Ethernet cards to form a NA network.  I considered doing this at
K8CC, since the coax connections should be a lot more robust in our multi-
multi setup using six computers in a NA-network.  However, more technical
information is required, plus we need to answer some questions.

It is my understanding that there are no services in DOS to interface to
Ethernet cards.  This means that either NA must provide these services or
some other software must provide them.  Are users willing to invest in a
Novell network?  Windows for Workgroups provide some services for sharing
resources between computers, but NA is not a Windows program.

The slickest setup would be for NA to have a driver to talk to the Ethernet
card, which would simply be a menu choice.  I have spent significant money
buying books which I hoped would give me the tech data needed to write such
a driver to no avail.  If anyone can shed some light on this task, I will be
gald to undertake it.

BTW, don't try running multiple NA computers using a single .QDF file on a
Novell network.  You can log QSOs, but NA will not be aware that a new QSO
was logged to the main QDF file, so each computer's NA will get out of sync.

73, Dave/K8CC

--
Submissions:              na-user@ve7tcp.ampr.org
Administrative requests:  na-user-REQUEST@ve7tcp.ampr.org