NA-User

[na-user] NA Networks w/Ethernet

To: <na-user@contesting.com>
Subject: [na-user] NA Networks w/Ethernet
From: k8dd@tir.com (Hank Kohl)
Date: Mon, 29 Jul 1996 18:07:41 -0400 (EDT)
In the previous NA and ethernet networks ramblings..........

What I never said, or got to, was in regards to the fact that with all that
network stuff, you still need the COM port network.  All the ethernet
network does at this point is make it possible to run NA on workstations
that really do not need hard drives.  A mother board, one or two floppies, 4
COM ports, one or two parallel ports, lots of memory, a power supply,
keyboard, case, a network card and a monitor and card.  In the multi op
station, that is a fair savings on 6 hard drives, a modest cost of the
network cards and one computer that is the server.  And, under the peer to
peer scenario, the server could also be a workstation, I think.  Have to try
that one!

But - on the downside - when the server locks, it's all over until everyone
reboots, whereas if you lose the serial network your stations keep on
running with no network, but still running.

How hi-tech do we want to get?

73    Hank    K8DD

k8dd@tir.com

--