NA-User

[na-user] Software Lockout ???

To: <na-user@contesting.com>
Subject: [na-user] Software Lockout ???
From: Jim Pratt <n6ig@netcom.com> (Jim Pratt)
Date: Tue, 2 Feb 1999 09:33:31 -0800 (PST)
On Tue, 2 Feb 1999, Bill Fisher - W4AN wrote:

> Anyway... what say?  Anyone else see this as being useful?

I agree this would be useful.  I was going to use the PTT function for
this through a hardware lockout box, but since I am still forced to use
VOX on my FT1000MP, I can't.  I have used an interlock device on the CW
keying lines for years, with "priority" selected from my other hardware
headphone/misc switchbox.  Since CT (which I usually use) doesn't have a
CW keyer built in (at least not yet), I need external keyers for paddle
use on each radio, which also forces a hardware solution.

I go back and forth on whether things are better implemented in software
or hardware.  I usually get excited and immediately answer "software",
but then things get implemented incorrectly or that implementation leads
to other bugs, etc.  Since I don't write the software code and CAN build
and modify the hardware, I tend to lean to hardware solutions.

73, Jim  N6IG