NA-User

[na-user] SLOOOOOW logging

To: <na-user@contesting.com>
Subject: [na-user] SLOOOOOW logging
From: dap14@daimlerchrysler.com (dap14@daimlerchrysler.com)
Date: Thu, 9 Dec 1999 13:50:01 -0500

Matt,

The key to getting the call database to work quickly and smoothly is to use
a disk cache program, which buffers the hard disk in RAM memory.  With a
large enough disk cache, the entire MASTER.DTA file sits in RAM and the
call database accesses don't incur the time delays resulting from the
mechanical actions of the hard disk.  Up until recently, the K8CC
multi-multi used all old 486 CPUs, some as slow as 486DLC-40s.  With the
disk cache, the call database performed acceptably, even on these slow
computers.

MS-DOS includes a disk cache program called SMARTDRV.  I don't have any DOS
documentation handy to reproduce the syntax required to set it up.  If I
recall correctly, SMARTDRV installs in the the CONFIG.SYS file, with
parameters to set the cache size, drives that are cached, etc.

The objective is to create a disk cache large enough to hold the MASTER.DTA
file as well as your .QDF log file.  My experience has been that the
MASTER.DTA files tend to be between 400K and 600K.  The biggest .QDF file
could be 655K, but the more typical large log (5000 QSOs) is around 200K.
Again, our low line computers had 2 MB RAM, so we'd set up a 1 MB SMARTDRV
and leave the rest for DOS.

Several people have asked about this subject recently.  Perhaps we need to
create a DATOM Tech Note for the website to explain SMARTDRV installation.

73,

Dave/K8CC

K7BG Matt Trott <aa7bg@3rivers.net>@contesting.com on 12/09/99 12:35:38 AM

Please respond to K7BG Matt Trott <aa7bg@3rivers.net>