NA-User

RE: [NA-User] Using NA with Web Spots

To: <NA-USER@contesting.com>
Subject: RE: [NA-User] Using NA with Web Spots
From: "David A. Pruett" <k8cc@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2003 23:13:09 -0500
With this discussion of using NA with web spots, I want to take this opportunity to give an unabashed recommendation for WinTelnetX written by Dave Robbins, K1TTT.

When I first got my broadband internet connection via a cable modem in late 1999, we cast about for a way to pull spots into our NA logging network at K8CC. One of our ops for CQWW CW that year brought his licensed copy of DXTelnet over to try. It took a lot of experimentation, but we eventually got it to work.

The next major contest (2000 ARRL DX CW) we decided to try Dave's WinTelnetX since it was freeware. We got it up and running quickly and once we figured out the IP addresses for the various nodes, it worked perfectly.

WinTelnetX has been our Internet packet interface ever since, and it continues to work flawlessly. We turn it on whenever we do multi-ops - in DX contests, SS, VHF/UHF, etc. We even recently put it on a laptop and took it on our CQWW SSB trip to VE1JF, where it pulled spots from a Compuserve dialup connection and fed it into a three-computer NA network all weekend.

At K8CC, there are ten MS-DOS computers running NA in a loop network. Most of the computers have two COM ports, one for the network and the other for the radio interface. The main computer has extra ports, and WinTelnetX (running on an eleventh shack computer under Win98SE) shoots spots into the main computer on COM3.

I just want to publicly that Dave Robbins, K1TTT for his work with and support of WinTelnetX.

73,

Dave/K8CC