NA-User

Re: [NA-User] Country.dat problem

To: RLVZ@aol.com
Subject: Re: [NA-User] Country.dat problem
From: David Pruett <k8cc@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2008 17:05:43 -0400
Dick,

Which version of the county file are you using?  Is this the 1802
version which Jim recently made available?

I'm getting on a plane to KP2 for WPX phone in less than 14 hours, so I
may not be able to provide a definitive solution until I get back.
However, I think you may be experiencing a problem with inadequate
memory space for the country file to load into NA.

Regardless of the fact that you're running under XP, NA is a DOS
program.  There are certain aspects of NA which will never run correctly
under XP - for example, the CW keyer and on some computers the
time-of-day clock.  Still, I've had success running NA on an XP computer
for example, on SSB (so the keyer does not come into play) and keeping
an eye on the clock and correcting it when necessary.

But because NA is a DOS program, it is limited to 640K memory.  We play
some games with what is called a "memory extender" for storing the QSO
records internally, but this doesn't work well for storing the country
file data.

The problem somes in that WinXP typically does not give NA a full 640K
to work with.  On the true DOS computers in the K8CC ham shack, NA gets
about 628K to work with.  On the WinXP machine that I'm typing this
e-mail on, when I open the NA DOS window and type the command "MEM", I
see that XP gives me 633K for "Largest DOS Program Size".  You should
check this on your machine.

I have not yet tested the 1802 version of the county file with NA.  I'll
try to do this while I'm down on KP2.  Perhaps the county file has grown
too large to handle, but I saw a recent note from AD1C saying that he
could run it in 10.59 so that would not seem to be true.

If Windows is "adding some additional lines at the beginning of the
file" I am concerned that this is screwing up the conversion process.
I've never seen this happen so I can't comment on it's effects.  But I
would be concerned with anything that Windows is doing to mess up the
formatting of the country file.

73

Dave/K8CC