NA-User

[NA-User] Tips for working the NA country files on Windows computers

To: na-user@contesting.com
Subject: [NA-User] Tips for working the NA country files on Windows computers
From: k8cc@comcast.net
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2008 22:25:06 +0000
Dick, K9OM, et al:

Greetings from St.Croix!

I've looked into the problems you were having when working with NA country
files and I believe I've found the solution.  Shortly after arriving down here,
I downloaded the 1802 version of the COUNTRY.DAT file and experienced the same
problem you described.   Windows added a bunch of junk at the beginning and end
of the COUNTRY.DAT file, but there was also added junk in the middle portions
of the file as well, so even if you removed the junk at the beginning and end
there was still junk remaining.  I am convinced this is the cause of your
problems.

The root issue is that using Windows Explorer, if you click on the
"COUNTRY.DAT" link on k1ea.com, it opens the file within Explorer.  Then if you
do a "SAVE AS" (to save COUNTRY.DAT to you computer) Explorer defaults to
treating it as an HTML (i.e., web) page.  That is the reason for the junk which
is being added.

What works correctly is rather than doing the "SAVE AS" off the file menu,
right click on the visable display of COUNTRY.DAT and select the "Save Target
As" choice on the dialog box which opens.  This allows you to save the file
explicitly as COUNTY.DAT and the junk is not added.

I've tested this here, and country file 1802 converts perfectly in NAU, and
loads correctly in NA without issue.

This should fix your problem.

73,

Dave, K8CC/KP2