NA-User

[NA-User] help with kenwood

To: na-user@contesting.com
Subject: [NA-User] help with kenwood
From: Mark Ketchell <k5er@arrl.net>
Date: Wed, 19 Aug 2009 13:57:54 -0500
Hi Folks,
         I've used ICOM rigs with NA for years. You just hook them up, set
the hex address and they work (thanks Dave!). I have a friend with a
Kenwood TS-850, just getting into contesting, who wants rig control. I am
trying to help him, but I am now in over my head. We found him an if-232,
but so far, no joy. I know in the NA setup, you can select from Kenwood 1 /
Kenwood 2, but that still doesn't seem to do it. He is not trying to send
cw (yet) but is trying to work from a dos window (operating sys is Win XP,
sp3). This has not been an issue with the icoms.
         Since his 850 seems to want 1200 baud, 8 N 2, do I have to drill
down through control panel/system/device manager/ports/properties, and
change the speed and stop bits there? I am trying to assist him by
phone/email, and have not actually sat at his operating position to
troubleshoot for myself, so I may be missing something obvious. Any advice
or help would be appreciated.
73,
Mark, K5ER