[Orion] Re: [orion565] Deaf Orion

To: <orion565@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [Orion] Re: [orion565] Deaf Orion
From: "john, ke5c" <ke5c@hot.rr.com>
Date: Sun, 14 Dec 2003 12:12:02 -0600
> During the contest yesterday my Orion suddenly lost about 50% of its
> sensitivity.  Both rcvrs.  The 10 meter band sounded like a solar
>-----snip-----
> go.  This happened once before but it resolved with a power cycle.
> Sounds like something is oscillating.  Any ideas?

so far in the contest, which i have done very casually, my orion has burped
three times (crash sound drastic, although that may be more correct).  the
first was a bit like yours - the subreceiver quit.  no matter of button
pushing restored it.  the second, which has been reported by others (see
orion@contesting.com early postings) - the transmitter quit.  the qsk loop
and ptt still worked, just no rf output.  the third, really minor - the
sweep quit.  in all cases power cycling cleared the faults.  frustrating.

73, john