Re: [Orion] Orion subreceiver AM detector

To: "James C. Garland" <4cx250b@muohio.edu>, orion@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Orion] Orion subreceiver AM detector
From: "Grant Youngman" <nq5t@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 11 Jan 2004 21:05:16 -0600
> on the main RX, though I haven't investigated it thoroughly. Is it
> possible the Orion is using a synchronous detector on AM for the
> subRX, which is what this sounds like?

I don't believe so.  I've been after T-T pretty much since mine arrived last
March to add a SAM detector.  Doug Smith indicated he had
"experimented" with the idea, but said there were no current plans to
implement one.  I'm told the RX-340 has a good one ...  nice if that could
be ported.  It would be a welcome and valuable enhancement.

> hope it's clear what I'm talking about. Decreasing the sensitivity of
> the rotation unmute feature would be desirable.

This little gremlin has been around since the mute feature was added.
Supposedly, the sensitivity was decreased somewhere along the line, but
doesn't seem to be enough.  If you're not careful, a push on the mute
button with a little "english" on it will unmute as soon as it mutes.   I get
bitten by this all the time, even if I'm careful.  Hopefully this will get
fixed
down the road.

> (4) The synthesizer seems to lock slowly, making rapid frequency
> excursions sound jerky.

If you look at the tentec@contesting.com archive, you'll find somewhere
recently (past week or so) a post by Scott that the issue is the control
CPU.  If it is too busy doing other things to catch every encoder pulse, it
at least counts them and catches up when possible.  This is what's
causing the issue.  It's worse when the SCOPE is on since that eats up
more realtime in the CPU.  I hope they can alter interrupt/scan priorites
and get that one fixed or at least improved.  I'd rather see it catch
encoder pulses than keep the bandscope or even the frequency display
up to date ....

Regards ... Grant/NQ5T