[Orion] Orion subreceiver AM detector

To: orion@contesting.com
Subject: [Orion] Orion subreceiver AM detector
From: "James C. Garland" <4cx250b@muohio.edu>
Date: Fri, 09 Jan 2004 23:09:05 -0500
Hi Gang,
I'm a newbie to this reflector, so pse forgive me if I'm treading over old ground. A question about the Orion's AM detector: When listening to AM stations, I notice that the subreceiver seemz to lock in on AM stations, in the same way that FM radios with AFC lock in on stations. In other words, when slowly tuning across an AM station, the station will suddenly snap into audibility. Even a 1 Hz change in frequncy cam cause this to happen. I haven't noticed this effect when tuning AM on the main RX, though I haven't investigated it thoroughly. Is it possible the Orion is using a synchronous detector on AM for the subRX, which is what this sounds like? When tuning across an AM broadcast band, I hear a popping noise as each station pops in and out of range. I find this a bit disconcerting.

A few other quibbles: (1) the volume encoders work with a linear rather an audio taper. Thus a 180 degree rotation of the AF gain causes practically no change in volume, whereas the second 180 degree change increases the gain very rapidly. I hope that in a future SW revision, the audio controls are given an audio taper, so they will have the "feel" of a true volume control.

(2) When using the mute buttons, rotating the volume encoders toggles the RX out of the mute mode. This is a convenient feature, except that it only takes a microscopic rotation to unmute the radio. It's not easy to push the button without slightly turning the encoder, which often gives the impression that the mute button isn't working right. I hope it's clear what I'm talking about. Decreasing the sensitivity of the rotation unmute feature would be desirable.

(3) The tuning step selections are not optimal, in my opinion. 10 Hz is too slow and 100 Hz is too fast. A 50 Hz step would be very desirable. Better still would be a user-defined step size. My Watkins-Johnson HF-1000 had this feature and it was very nice.

(4) The synthesizer seems to lock slowly, making rapid frequency excursions sound jerky. The Collins KWM-380 behaves this way, but then it is a 25 year old design. Most other modern rigs have fast enough synthesizers that the tuning seems analog. Too bad the Orion can't do this as well.

Some of these criticisms may be a consequence of my unfamiliarity with the radio, which I've just had for a day. If so, pse excuse me.
73,
Jim Garland W8ZR