[Orion] Orion S-Meter Test Results

To: orion@contesting.com
Subject: [Orion] Orion S-Meter Test Results
From: "James C. Garland" <4cx250b@muohio.edu>
Date: Sat, 17 Jan 2004 17:09:22 -0500
Hi Gang,
I have been troubled by the ARRL expanded test results of the Orion S-Meter sensitivity, which found the Orion's main receiver S-meter at 14.2 MHz (preamp off) to have S9=135 uV. This result is far off the accepted standard of S9=50 uV.

My Yaesu MP - Mark V' s S-meter is very close to meeting the 50 uV standard, and in comparing S-meter signals in A-B tests between it and my new Orion, I hadn't noticed much subjective difference.. Therefore, I decided to verify the ARRL data by doing a careful measurement of the Orion's S-meter sensitivity. Here's the description and results of my measurements:

Methodology: I used an HP8640B signal generator, with an HP3406A broadband (DC-1 GHz) RF voltmeter to measure the signal generator output voltages. The HP8640B has a 50 ohm output impedance, which means that its open circuit voltage (no load connected) is twice the voltage as when its output is terminated in 50 ohm. (This is because half the generator's output voltage is dropped across its own internal 50 ohm resistance, when an external 50 ohm load is connected.)

I set up the circuit so I could measure the rf voltage at the antenna connector of the Orion, and also at the output connector of the HP8640B. This was to rule out the possible influence from reflections and standing waves on the interconnecting coax cable.

Step 1: I measured the input impedance of the Orion main receiver at Ant 2, and found it to be 50 ohms, within an ohm or two.

Step 2: I made detailed measurements of the S-meter sensitivity at 14.05 MHz, main receiver, Antenna 2, BW=2800 Hz, preamp OFF. Here are the results:
S-Meter Actual Signal
S1 0.3 uV
S3 1.5 uV
S5 5 uV
S7 13 uV
S9 50 uV
S9+10 50 uV + 8 db
S9+20 50 uV + 18 db
S9+30 50 uV + 29 db
S9 +40 50 uV + 42 db

Although the Orion meter goes to S9 +60 db, I was unable to get it to move much past S9 +40. Up to that point, however, the Orion S-meter was right on target. In fact, it seems about as accurately calibrated as the S-meter on any receiver I've ever tested. The ARRL results are clearly wrong.

Step 3: I measured the band-to-band variations in S-meter sensitivity.Here I found some modest variations in the signal required to give an S9 reading. Here are the results:
Freq Signal to give S9
1.85 64 uV
3.80 50 uV
7.20 61 uV
10.15 50 uV
14.20 50 uV
18.10 70 uV
21.20 70 uV
24.90 80 uV
28.5 80 uV

Evidently the S-meter sensitivity decreases by about 4 db above 20 meters. Part of this might be cable loss in the 15 ft of RG58U between the signal generator and thre receiver, and part might be band-to-band calibration error in the HP8640B signal generator. For these measurements, I just set the gernator output at 50 uV and assumed it stayed there as I varied the generator frequency. In any case, this is very good band-to-band consistency for the Orion.

Step 4. I measured the effect on S-meter sensitivity of changing the bandwidth (including the roofing filters). There was no change down to about 1.00 kHz bandwidth, and about a 1 S unit decrease in sensitivity at narrower bandwidths.

Step 5. I measured the effect on S-meter sensitivity of changing reception modes. I found no difference between CW and SSB. In the AM mode, however, the S-meter sensitivity decreased about 10 db. This is a signiicant change.

Conclusion: Other than the decrease in S-meter sensitivity in the AM mode, the Orion has a remarkably well-calibrated.S-meter.

While I had the radio on my bench, I did two other tests. First, I measured the 10 meter sensitivity, and found that I could copy (barely) a CW signal of 0.2 uV with the preamp off. With the preamp on, I could copy a .02 uV (20 nanovolt!) CW signal.

Also, I measured the isolation between the two antenna ports. On 10m, the isolation was 40 db, and it increased to 45 db on 160 m. This is acceptable, but not impressive isolation. It means that an S9+40db signal on one antenna will still read S9 if the other antenna port is selected. Normally, this would not be a problem.

73,
Jim Garland W8ZR