[Orion] VFO lock?

To: <orion@contesting.com>
Subject: [Orion] VFO lock?
From: "Zivney, Terry L." <00tlzivney@bsu.edu>
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2004 11:58:06 -0500
This past weekend I used my Orion with TRLog.  I noticed a few
times that even though I pushed the VFO A lock putton, that
sometimes (rarely) the frequency would move down, mostly by
about 200Hz, but one time over a kHz!  I know this happened,
because the TRLog band map showed both cq frequencies.  I
would notice that the QRM had picked up on my run frequency,
look at the band map and see that I had moved into the QRM!
The frequency shift was always down and I was in the LCW mode.

I don't know what happened.  A theory I'm examining include
that I would push the RIT button and somehow this interacted.
But, I watched many times pushing the RIT button and it didn't
move the frequency.

I had the rig stop receiving one time the second day.  I noticed
that the band seemed awfully quiet all of a sudden.  A few
seconds of examining possibilities, then just repowered.
Everything back to normal.  Again, no reason found (yet),
but I'm thinking maybe I hit the MODE button by mistake
while toggling the adjacent PREAMP button. I did not use
the bandscope at any time.

The new software update 1.369 fix of the VFO tuning
was just what the doctor ordered!  The rig is a keeper.

Terry Zivney, N4TZ/9