[TenTec] AGC/NR Interaction?

To: orion@contesting.com, tentec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] AGC/NR Interaction?
From: Joe Giacobello <k2xx@swva.net>
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2004 16:16:25 -0500
I have read references to interactions between the AGC and the NR settings on the Orion, but they seemed general and did not specify exactly what was observed. This weekend I was working 80M in the test and noticed that with the AGC at any threshold setting other than minimum (0.38), the noise actually increased considerably when I activated the NR. I repeated the condition several times, so I wasn't imagining it.

I haven't gone back to look at the issue in detail and to define the conditions that cause the problem, but there seem to be some combination of band conditions, AGC threshold setting and NR setting that produces the problem. I wonder if anyone else has observed this problem, or is it a problem with my Orion and/or setup?

73, Joe