Re: [Orion] Bugs and Firmware Suggestions for Orion

To: "James C. Garland" <4cx250b@muohio.edu>
Subject: Re: [Orion] Bugs and Firmware Suggestions for Orion
From: Gary Tuck <gtuck@mac.com>
Date: Mon, 3 Jan 2005 17:10:07 -0800
Jim, I've seen others mention the AM 2.5 kHz tuning bug and mine doesn't operate that way. I just confirmed by tuning the sub receiver while in AM in 1 and 10 and 100 hz steps. On your second point, I'm not sure if I would want "xm" speed if the basic step size is 100 kHz. The way it is with 100 kHz selected, I can get from the top to bottom of 20m in a fraction of a rotation. For 10 m, it is less than a quarter of a rotation of the tuning knob.

I certainly do agree with some of your suggestions. Cycling thru 3 AGC settings and then OFF to move from medium to slow is cumbersome indeed. I would also like an easier way to adjust power output while in the tune mode. If I wish to tune my amp at a level higher than 20 w while in the TUNE mode, then I have to turn the keyer off so it will output a steady carrier. I choose to do it this way rather than select Tune and then Pwr. I find the VFO A knob too close to the Sub receiver AF button. I, too, inadvertently turn the audio on. As far as disabling transmit, I just deselect whichever VFO is set for transmit. No transmit buttons are lit and transmit is disabled as far as I know.

I've got my little list of grumbles as well, AGC pop on stronger signals, delays while turning BW, Cut and AF knobs introduced by 1.372, etc BUT overall, this is the best rig for the money I have to believe. At least it is in my environment.

73, Gary - W7TEA