Re: [Orion] firmware Questions

To: skip <k3cc@fast.net>
Subject: Re: [Orion] firmware Questions
From: Gary Tuck <gtuck@mac.com>
Date: Wed, 5 Jan 2005 11:13:23 -0800
I've commented on the AGC popping situation here and have found few others who seem to be experiencing the problem. I know that if I use higher impedance headphones, 64 ohm, it really helps--over my HS-5's even if I put 47-100 ohm resisters in the audio lines with the 8 ohm cans.

My Sweep does not freeze if I make sure that NR is off in the Sub receiver.

There are two mic gain adjustments. One is under the transceiver thru a small hole a couple inches back from the front behind the User buttons. I placed my front panel mic gain at 50 and then adjusted the circuit board pot with a small insulated driver and that helped. Any further adjustment was with the front panel control. Paul in Service told me about this.

When you say transceiver freezing, what are you experiencing? I know that before I upgraded to 1.372 I had a couple of receiver freezes (either main or sub) and then a couple of times after the upgrade. I didn't like the audio popping and delays I experienced with BW, Cut and AF so I reinstalled 1.371 after clearing ram and doing a master reset. Then another master reset after the 1.371 install. I felt like I was re-formating the drive and re-installing a clean operating system on a fairly new PC. The receiver freezes have not come back. I was getting transmitter freezes--keying but no power output--after using my Centaur. Tommy had understood another ham had turned both Keying Loops on and that had helped. I've been trying that and have not experienced another problem. Doesn't seem logical and may not be related but it's working so far for me.

I got my Orion September 1st so ours are probably from the same production run.

73, Gary W7TEA