Re: [Orion] firmware Questions

To: Robert Carroll <rlcarroll@patmedia.net>
Subject: Re: [Orion] firmware Questions
From: Joe Giacobello <k2xx@swva.net>
Date: Wed, 05 Jan 2005 23:42:11 -0500
Thanks, Gary and Bob, for your replies. In the meantime I queried Bob Heil regarding the problem and he says that there's no way the HM-10 can work with the Orion! It's an unbalanced mike whereas the Orion has a balanced audio input. The Studio One was specifically designed by him to accommodate that input.

I am dumfounded because I used the HM-10 for a couple of months with the Orion and specifically asked a number of stations for critical reports, some of them good friend who would tell it like it is, and they all said it sounded fine with either the HC-4 or -5 cartridge. I also listened to my transmitted sigs on the Orion monitor and a second RX. Finally, the scope pattern looked like typical Xmas trees and still does.

It was a used mike, and I am wondering if the previous owner modified it in some way to make it work with the Orion.

I'm still working on the problem and will update the list if and when I figure out what's going on.

73, Joe

Robert Carroll wrote:

When you say oscillation, do you mean you can actually hear a low level
sine-like tone?

Bob W2WG